Saturday, December 19, 2009

Six degrees of separation from a skill

My pet peeve as a hiring manager is what I like to call the "six degrees of separation from a skill" syndrome :)

Beware when you see everything but the kitchen sink listed as skills, especially in short career spans. More often than not, my phone screens of such candidates have taken bizarre and disappointing turns such as these:

1.This one is the killer.. inspiration for the title of this blog:

A candidate's resume listed JAVA, which was in the JD. When asked what was his level of experience in JAVA, his response was.. brace yourself for this..
"I was working with a developer in the same building who was using JAVA for his programming"
2.Other lame but fairly common ones:

When asked how recent is your Perl experience/ how do you rate yourself 1-5?
A brief silence on the other end usually followed by
"I use a Perl script written by someone else and I can understand the code and even modify it"

I call the next one "look over someone's shoulder and quickly add it to your resume" syndrome

When asked to explain experience with say performance testing when a ton of tools are listed on the resume, candidate says
"I was involved in a project where my team/colleagues created the script and monitoring and I pressed the start button (or something to that effect)"


I am yet to hear amusing ones such as "My mother read aloud Perl scripts to me when I was in her womb hence it's on my resume":)


ps: For anyone wondering why I interrupted my sequence of performance testing related posts with this inane rant, I am phone screening a lot of candidates currently for QA engineer, so it's been on my mind. Now that it's out of my system and I can move on back to technical topics.

Cheers,
Dharma

No comments:

Post a Comment